Boeing

Boeing  Roanoke St 1916

1916, the B&W Bluebill at Northeast Lake Union

The first plane William E Boeing helped build was built in Northeast Lake Union. He and his friends Navy Lt. Conrad Westervelt and Herb Munter built the plane in 1916, and it had its maiden voyage on June 15th. The plane was called the B&W Bluebill, and was built in a house at the foot of Roanoke Street which they convered into an airplane hangar.

The success of Boeing had a great impact on the Seattle area, but little directly on Northeast Lake Union, because within a couple of years production was moved away from the site to a buiding on the Duwamish River.

 

Source:

http://www.historylink.org/_content/printer_friendly/pf_output.cfm?file_id=10211